Friday, August 1, 2008

How to keep a 2 year old in the bed???

HELP!!!!!!!!
Beau will not stay in his bed. We have been almost a full 2 weeks without the pacifier, and he really does not ask for it much anymore - not in the past several days anyways. Sometimes he will still ask for it indirectly - "I don't want a new video and new toy anymore, Mommy...", etc. Instead he is resisting authority in another way. He will not stay in the bed anymore when I put him down for a nap or night time. It is a NIGHTMARE. Literally, it took me almost 2 hours of fighting with him today before his nap. 2 hours!!!! Abby had taken her nap and was up about the time he finally fell asleep!! ARRRGGHHH! He gets up and plays in his toy box, drags out books, drags things out of his closet, plays peek-a-boo with the door, etc., etc. I have a good night time routine of bathing, teeth brushing and book reading prior to bed that has not changed since Abby was little. They even get a book apiece read before their naps, too. He has been in his big boy bed for about 9 months, so it is not like this is new either. It is really frustrating, and I am at my wits end. I have tried every conventional discipline method that I know of. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas???? Has anyone else out there had this problem?

7 comments:

lyla said...

i also had this problem several months after lilly had started sleeping in her big girl bed. it was a nightmare. i may be reported to DHS for what i am about to recommend (ha ha) but my pediatrician even said it was a good idea. i put one of those doorknobs on the inside of her door to keep her in and made sure there was nothing in her room she could get hurt with. after i put her to bed or down for a nap (read a book, etc.) i left and shut the door and did not go back in there for ANYTHING. there were a couple of times she even fell asleep crying at the door on the floor, but it worked. once she realized she wasn't going to get any attention from me she finally gave up and stayed in her bed. good luck!

thesemanchiks said...

Oh boy. I have no suggestions, b/c I am facing both of those soon...a big girl bed and giving up the paci. Which to do first?? I hope that it gets better soon for you!! I will be waiting to see how it goes and what works! Keep us updated :)

Andrew and Carter's Mom said...

I threatened Andrew and he didn't get out of his bed for about 3 weeks. Then one day, he too realized it would be fun to get out. I locked him in his room so he couldn't go anywhere, and I knew he would be safe in there. I started out going in there everytime I knew he got out and spanked him, told him to stay in his bed, them put him back in it. One night, at 3am, I found myself crying and googling how to keep a toddler in the bed. It said to not give them any attention, to go in there, grab there hand, lead them back into the bed and never say a word. That's what I did and it worked within a few nights. I still lock him in, just in case, but it's been good since then. We took the paci away yesterday, so pray for us as well!!

Julie said...

Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but I thought Lyla's idea was good. I'll be praying for you! No breaks during the day are not fun!

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, Helen Marie did the door knob thing just changed the door knob around so that she could lock graceann in her room since she would scream and come out of her room during time outs and time to go to bed. What Amber said is what the super nanny recommended not so say a word just put them straight back into the bed - but I have seen a Beau fit and it is alot to handle!!!!!!
love you, niki

Pamela said...

I know it is very hard to believe but we had a lot of trouble with Drew getting out of his bed. I spanked, threatened, etc. and he would still get out so I made a behavior chart. He gets a sticker for staying in his bed at night and then gets some kind of prize when he collects 8 stickers. I was skeptical at first as to whether he would really care but it has worked great!

kma said...

So sorry! It's hard. After I closed Ford's door, I always put a gate up in the doorframe. THat seemed to help. Addie never had that problem...must be our boys! Good luck! Kelly