Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Chocolate Chunk Mocha Cookies

So, I have a HUGE stack of recipes that I have clipped out of magazines, newspapers, etc that were laying everywhere in my kitchen. I finally stacked them all up the other night and noticed this one for these cookies. I happen to believe that there is hardly a better drink than a mocha latte (except maybe a peppermint mocha latte...). Well, this is the cookie version of a mocha latte. They are SO yummy and rich and relatively easy to make. Also, the icing is just fantastic with just that hint of coffee in it. The icing would be yummy on anything - cupcakes, other cookies, etc. They were so much fun and tasted so yummy I thought I would share it in case there is anyone else out there who loves to cook and bake like me, and who loves their chocolate. I only wish I could give credit to whoever made this recipe up, but it was out of a stack of clippings so I have no clue what I cut it out off. (Also, Aunt Ann - you may want to store up the icing recipe for your cakes in case anyone ever wants a mocha/coffeeish flavored chocolate icing.) Oh, also...I may be an ignorant, but I have never baked cookies on parchment paper like the recipe calls for you to do, but I thought I'd try it. It made me nervous - it just seems like putting paper right in the oven like that would just catch on fire or burn. It worked so great, though. I was amazed!! So if you've never tried it, I just thought I'd let you know that it won't catch on fire!! (Ha - I know - I worry about the dumbest things sometimes.) I am going to be baking on parchment paper more often! Anyways, if anyone decides to make them - enjoy!!
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 (11.5) oz package semisweet chocolate chunks
Mocha Frosting
1. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a bowl.
2. Beat butter and next 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Gradually add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Stir in chocolate chunks.
3. Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
4. Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes or until puffy. Cool on baking sheets 2 minutes; remove to wire racks, and let cool 30 minutes or until completely cool. Spread cookies with Mocha Frosting. Dust evenly with powdered sugar, if desired.
Note: Dough may be frozen up to 1 month or refrigerated up to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature before baking as directed. (makes 3 dozen)
Mocha Frosting: (makes about 3 cups)
Ingredients:
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 cup hot strong brewed coffee
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
Stir together first 4 ingredients until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, stirring until creamy.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Yum...will you bake those for me when you come???

Julie said...

Ok-I'm going to have to get up right now and have a chocolate fix-they sound so good! Great talking to you yesterday-love and miss you!